Friday, January 28, 2011

It's A Cover-Up

I'm a sucker for song covers. I can't help but bop along to songs that I already know the words to, but that have that new sound to them. Old songs done in a punk style are my favourites, but there are a few others that I totally dig. I thought I'd share a few with you, so that you can start off the weekend in a boppy mood too.


Me First and The Gimme Gimmes are one of my all-time favourite bands. They ONLY do punk covers of songs, and pretty much every single one is rad. The don't limit themselves to covering only one style though - they've covered Dolly Parton, Stevie Wonder, Cat Stevens, Boys II Men, and Blondie, just to name a few. My love of the band is also not hurt by the fact that I want to marry Spike Slawson. He might run kind of funny, but he sure is purdy.



As well as being an awesome cover, this is one of my favourite video clips. I actually quite like Kelly Clarkson anyway (But shhhh. Don't tell anybody - it's my shameful secret) and when I came across this band I nearly wet myself with excitement. Cover + metal band + amusing video parody = a very happy girl.



My friend tipped me off to this chick, and she's crazy good. This is probably my fave of her songs, but she also does some great covers of Incubus and Kings Of Leon.




And one last one for the old-school Sesame Street fans out there. This may either amuse you or traumatise you - it's 50/50.


Are you bopping now? Are you ready for the weekend? Or did that last video just make you cry? If so, go have a nice lay down and a hot drink, and you'll be good to go in an hour or two.

1 comment:

  1. he he hee, that last one was pretty bad. but oh how i love a good cover. some of my favs are alien ant farm's smooth criminal, scissor sisters' comfortably numb, sick puppies' version of say my name, and jose gonzalez's heartbeats. oh and i will never forget seeing moby do land down under - awesome! thank for the friday arvo tunes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...