A couple of weeks ago, I made a very big decision. It was a difficult one, and one that can’t be made on the spur of the moment. But when I thought about it, I realised that I’m old enough, I have a steady job, and I have a good support network, if I need it. And I’ve wanted this for so long that it just made sense.
So I took the plunge.
I bought an overlocker.
And I’m just so happy. I’ve named her Sadie, and she fits in perfectly with my crafting family (Stella, my sewing machine, and Wallace the sewing kit). I was even tempted to do a little naming ceremony, where I uttered the words, “And I dub thee…. Sadie.” but I couldn’t find my knitting needle so that I could tap both of her shoulders. Even if I’d found my knitting needle, I’d have had to find her shoulders. And I couldn’t be bothered.
That doesn’t stop me from singing, “Sadie, the stitching laaaay-deeee.”
I decided that I needed a Sadie-specific project, instead of endlessly overlocking scrap pieces of fabric, so I went down to Spotlight to seek inspiration (read: spend money), and I came across the most gorgeous vintage-style fabric. It reminded me that I’ve had a dress pattern sitting in my drawer for about 7 months now, and that it’s probably time to make it. Fabric was purchased, and dress was made.
The dress took longer than I thought it would, basically because I always mistakenly start projects with the idea that I am invincible. I am not. I was also trying to be really neat and precise with my cutting/sewing/darts, because it’s not often that I use proper paper patterns, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this.
On the topic of darts – they are the devil’s work. They are right up there with unpicking buttonholes, and I do not much care for them. Get them wrong, and you end up looking like Madonna in her Vogue period. Why must they be so damned hard to mark onto the fabric? I was sticking pins through the pattern, and then marking on the fabric with chalk where the pin was. I was hoping that I was actually doing it the wrong way, that there’s actually a way easier way to do it. I ran it past Michelle and Claire, and it turns out that I was doing it the right way. I cried.
Following that, once I slip-stitched my finger to the zipper, I stopped caring quite as much. My original plan had been to add a peter pan collar to the dress (I’m totally digging peter pan collars at the moment), but when the point came to add it, I decided that I just wanted to finish the damn thing.
In hindsight, it probably would have looked better with something there. A placket would have been great. Or maybe some pockets on the side. I don’t know – something starting with ‘p’ and ending in ‘cket’.
Anyway, dress is finished. It even looks like the picture on the front of the pattern. I’ve proved it to myself. Yay me. Blah blah blah.
And it’s all because of…
Sadie, the stitching laaaaaay-deeeeeeee.