Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bonza

Photobucket
Image from weheartit

Inspired by Michelle’s Dead Wood blog post, I was thinking I’d say a few words on the year that’s just passed. A while ago I’d been wanting to write a post along the lines of Thanksgiving, but Australia-style (called She’ll be Right, Mate).

I know that this last year has been pretty uncool for quite a few people. Things have happened, and a lot of change has occurred. Change is hard to get used to, especially when you aren’t expecting it. I find it hard to adapt to a new phone, let alone life changes. It’s easy to get caught up in the stress and trauma that occurs, but it’s also important to always think of the nice things in your life, and be grateful for the things that you do have.

I had a particularly traumatic week in April where about 5 things happened that absolutely knocked me down.  It’s hard to see past these events when they happen. But I’ve learnt lessons along the way, and I’m in a much better head-space than I was 6 months ago.

I was getting depressed about the fact that I had nothing tying me to where I lived. I had no career, no significant other, hated the area I was living in, had lost my pets earlier in the year, and just wasn’t sure what it was that I wanted out of life. After an epiphany type moment, I realised that the flip side of this was that I was free. I had NOTHING tying me down, and was able to just up sticks and move. Start again. So I did. I made the decision, and about a month and a half later, found myself in Tassie. I remember driving up to my cousin’s house the day that I’d made my decision to move, and I stood in her kitchen hyperactively telling her about it while she cooked dinner. “And I’ll move…. Ummm…. Next month! What’s the worst that could happen?!? You could TOTALLY visit! I’ll do stuff down there… What’s the place like that I’m going to move to? – I have no idea… Apparently there’s an ocean nearby….Is that a quesadilla?”

And here it is, a list of the fun, inspiring, and occasionally scary things that I’ve done this year (inspired by the “The Year That Was” article in the latest issue of Frankie magazine. I really must stop stealing people’s ideas). These are the things that I want to remember this year for, and am so happy to have done.

  1. Quit my job.
  2. Got back into sewing – in a way that I never have before.
  3. Packed my car full of my belongings, and moved state.
  4. Let off fireworks in a suburban area with some mates, and then legged it.
  5. Started doing volunteer work for an animal shelter.
  6. Held my first market stall.
  7. Met some incredible people.
  8. Started the turning trixie blog.
  9. Had tequila shots off the top of a samurai sword.
  10. Dressed up as Bettie Page. And a sailor. And a goth. And a fifties housewife.
  11. Went to a gig by myself for the first time.
  12. Saw two of my beautiful friends (one I met in primary school, and one from high school) start their own lovely families.
  13. Really started appreciating the simple pleasures.
  14. Got my tattoo finished after a long time of procrastination.
  15. Had my first full year free of chronic pain for the first time since I was 18. No physio, no cortisone injections, very few pain killers. Plus, I can climb stairs without whinging.
  16. Had numerous late night drives to Krispy Kreme.
  17. Got to play a very special part in a blessing ceremony for my friends and their baby.
  18. Experienced being a ferret owner for a week.
  19. Had a clubful of people (including some lovely drag queens) sing happy birthday to me.
  20. Learnt that some bonds transcend the trivial. And some don’t. But that’s ok.
 So, how about you? Do you have a list for 2010? If so, I’d love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...